Note: Affiliate links may be used in this post. I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you if you use my affiliate link. Full disclosure policy here.
How to Start a Disney Blog
This guide will teach you how to start a Disney blog in five easy steps!
If you love all things Disney, starting a Disney blog is a great way to share your passion with others, while making some money in the process!
Outside of Blogging Her Way, I used to have a travel blog that focused on Disney World. I was able to earn good money from this blog while sharing tips and tricks to help other travelers plan a magical Disney World vacation.
If you’re interested in starting a Disney blog of your own, keep reading!
Blogging has a very low investment (it costs just $2.95 a month for a domain name and hosting with Bluehost) but a high potential for profit.
Ready to start your Disney blog? Here’s everything you need to know!
Step 1: Choose a Niche
Your niche is simply the topic you blog about. Disney is already a niche in itself, but you may want to narrow your niche even further (AKA choosing a micro niche) in order to stand out from the crowd and differentiate yourself.
Here are some ideas for Disney blog niches:
- Disney World travel
- Disneyland travel
- International Disney parks (Paris, Tokyo, etc.)
- Disney cruises
- Disney trivia
- Disney movies
- Living a Disney lifestyle
You can also choose a couple of these Disney niches to focus on, you don’t have to pick just one. This is just to give you some ideas and inspiration!
Related: What to Blog About: 150+ Profitable Blog Niche Ideas
Step 2: Choose a Name
After you have decided on your niche, it’s time to choose a name for your Disney blog! Your domain name is your blog’s address on the Internet.
It’s important to choose a good name, because it’s the first impression you will have on visitors to your blog. (And it’s hard to change later!)
Related: Disney Blog Names: Ideas & Examples
Here are some tips for how to pick a domain name for your Disney blog:
- Make your name easy to spell and say. Don’t use misspelled words, numbers, or hyphens in your domain name. All of these things will make your name a lot more confusing and harder for people to remember.
- Make sure that the .com of your chosen name is available. Try to avoid alternative domain name endings like .net or .co because they are less common, harder to remember, and less trustworthy.
- Make it Disney-related. For example, Adventurous Kate or The Blonde Abroad.
- Pick something you can grow with. The name “Disney with Toddlers” might be a good choice now if you have toddlers, but what about in a few years when your kids are older? A name like “Family Disney Travel” or “Mom Knows Disney” might be a better fit instead.
- Don’t overthink it. Try not to spend too much time on this step or worry about picking the “perfect” domain name. Chances are, whatever name you pick will grow on you and start to feel like a great fit.
Related: How to Choose a Blog Name
If you can’t decide on a name yet, that’s okay! You can come back and choose one later after you sign up for web hosting with Bluehost.
Step 3: Get Web Hosting
If you want to make money as a blogger, you will need to have a self-hosted blog. This means that you own all of your content and your blog is totally yours, as opposed to using a hosted platform such as Blogger, Wix, WordPress.com, etc.
Even if you are not a very technical person, setting up web hosting is extremely simple and only takes a few minutes.
First, you will need to choose a web host.
The web hosting company I use and recommend is Bluehost.
Here are a few reasons why I like Bluehost:
- They have some of the most affordable web hosting plans out there.
- You can get your domain name for free with them (as opposed to paying $15 to $20 with an outside company.)
- Their service is reliable and robust, so you will never have to worry about your website going down or loading slowly.
- Many of the most successful bloggers I know use Bluehost.
- They have great customer support and I have always had my questions answered quickly whenever I needed help.
Bluehost has very generously offered hosting packages starting at just $2.95 a month for readers of Blogging Her Way, along with a FREE domain name.
To get this special pricing, just be sure to use any Bluehost link in this article!
Here’s how to set up web hosting with Bluehost:
1. Click here and then click the “Get Started” button:
2. Select your hosting plan
3. Put in your domain name
Select this option and you can go ahead and set up your blog now, then use the free credit to buy your domain name later.
4. Create your hosting account
5. Choose your package and pay
I recommend the 12-month plan for $2.95 a month, for a total cost of $35.40 for the year. But you can also choose a 24-month or 36-month plan.
6. Congrats, you’re done!
Now you’re all set! Bluehost will automatically install WordPress for you.
What exactly is WordPress? WordPress is the content management platform that your blog will run on. Your WordPress dashboard is where you will go to edit the look of your blog, write blog posts, upload images, etc.
It’s extremely easy to use, even if you’re a total beginner.
Step 4: Design Your Blog
Now it’s time for the fun part – designing your blog!
When you log in to your WordPress dashboard for the first time, you will be prompted to go ahead and choose a theme for your blog:
You can pick one of these default themes if you want, but I don’t recommend it.
For one, the majority of these free default themes are not designed with bloggers in mind. Most are designed for business websites.
Additionally, choosing a premium theme over a default theme will make your blog look more professional right from the start.
Here are the benefits to choosing a paid theme for your blog:
- They come with step-by-step set-up instructions
- You will have access to customer support from the theme creator.
- Paid themes come with crucial features like a mobile responsive design and customization options.
- Your blog will look prettier and more professional.
Here are some great themes that are perfect for Disney bloggers:
Installing your WordPress theme
To install your theme, go to Appearance > Themes in the lefthand menu of the WordPress dashboard, which looks like this:
Then simply upload your theme file and install it.
Once you have installed your theme and are happy with the way everything looks, you can go ahead and launch your blog! Until you follow this step, your blog will just display a “Coming Soon” landing page.
To launch, go to the Bluehost menu on the top left of your WordPress dashboard:
All you have to do is fill in this info and you’re good to go:
Congrats! Your Disney blog is now live.
Step 5: Start Blogging!
Once you have launched your blog, it’s time to write your first blog post.
There are a lot of things you can write about as a Disney blogger. Here are some helpful ideas to help you get started:
- What to pack for a trip to Disney World
- Time-saving tips for Disney World
- How to do a Disney World vacation on a budget
- The ultimate Disney movie bucket list
- Your favorite inspirational Disney quotes
- How to add Disney magic to your everyday life
For more Disney blog post ideas, check out this list of blog post ideas for Disney bloggers to get some more inspiration for what to write about.
How Disney Blogs Make Money
There are many ways to make money as a blogger. As a Disney blogger, here are a few of the most popular ways to make money from your blog:
Affiliate marketing is one of the best ways to make money blogging. As an affiliate for a company, you earn a commission every time someone makes a purchase through your unique affiliate link. You can literally get paid for recommending products you already use and love to your readers!
For more tips on affiliate marketing, read my guide to making money with affiliate marketing or sign up for my free list of affiliate programs for bloggers.
Display ads are another popular way to make money as a blogger.
Once you have enough traffic to your blog, you can join an ad network like Monumetric (which requires 10,000 monthly page views) or Mediavine (which requires 50,000 monthly sessions.)
These networks will display ads on your site and pay you based on RPM (revenue per one thousand impressions.) Depending on traffic, many bloggers earn anywhere from a few hundred to thousands of dollars from ads each month.
Disney bloggers can also make money selling their own products.
This can be a physical or digital product. In my opinion, this can be a really good way to make money blogging for Disney bloggers.
Some ideas of digital products that you can sell include Disney travel guides or printable Disney travel planners. For physical products, you can design Disney t-shirts or other apparel and merchandise and use a platform like Shopify or Printify to sell your designs without needing to keep physical inventory.
Disney Blog Examples
Are you looking for examples of Disney blogs?
Normally, I would find some bloggers who share blog income reports but this is not a very common practice in the Disney blogging world. (Compared to in other niches such as personal finance, where it makes a lot more sense to share.)
However, all of the following Disney blogs have AdThrive or Mediavine ads on their websites, which is a good sign someone is making significant money from blogging (since you need a minimum of 100,000 monthly page views or 50,000 monthly sessions to apply to these ad networks, respectively.)
Additionally, these blogs all use affiliate links so between their high levels of traffic and multiple monetization methods, it’s safe to say they earn quite a bit.
Here are some successful Disney blogs to check out:
- Disney Tourist Blog
- Blog Mickey
- Disney Food Blog
- Disney Trippers
- This Fairy Tale Life
- Disney in Your Day
- The Happiest Blog on Earth
- Disney Dose
- Disney Fashionista
These are all great examples of successful Disney blogs.
How to Start a Disney Blog Recap
So that’s all there is to it! Starting a Disney blog is a lot of fun and very rewarding.
As a recap, here are the steps you need to take to start your own Disney blog:
- Decide on your niche.
- Choose a domain name.
- Register for web hosting from Bluehost.
- Write 5 to 10 blog posts.
Good luck and happy blogging!