Note: Affiliate links may be used in this post. I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you if you use my affiliate link. Full disclosure policy here.
How to Start a Mom Blog
This guide will teach you exactly how to start a mom blog in five easy steps!
If you’re a mom, you might have read other mom blogs and wanted to start your own. While I am not a mom myself, many of the most successful bloggers I know are moms and I am amazed at how they do it all!
Starting a mom blog is a great way to make money and be able to work at home with your kids, or whenever you have some free time after work or during naptime. It can be a side hustle or your full-time job. There are moms out there making anywhere from $1,000 to $10,000+ a month from their blogs!
Blogging has a very low investment (it costs just $2.95 a month for a domain name and hosting with Bluehost) but a high potential for profit.
So are you ready to learn how to start a mom blog and make money blogging?
Here’s everything you need to know!
Step 1: Define Your Niche
The first step to starting a mom blog is choosing your niche. Your niche is simply the topic or topics that you write about on your blog.
With mom blogs, you can write about multiple topics on your blog, but what ties them all together is that your audience is other moms.
Here are some of the best mom blog niche ideas.
Here are some more examples of niche ideas for mom bloggers:
- Pregnancy and birth
- Caring for newborns
- Kids’ activities and crafts
- Being a stepmom
- Family finances
- Life with toddlers
You can focus on just one topic, or combine multiple topics on your mom blog.
You don’t need to be an expert in your niche, but be sure to pick something you are passionate about and can see yourself writing about long-term.
Related: What to Blog About: 150+ Profitable Blog Niche Ideas
Step 2: Choose a Domain Name
Once you’ve decided on your niche, it’s time to come up with a domain name.
Your domain name is simply your blog’s address on the Internet. It’s the first thing people will remember about your blog, so it’s important to choose a good one.
Related: Mom Blog Names: Ideas and Examples
Here are some tips for choosing a domain name:
- Make your name easy to spell and say. Don’t use misspelled words, numbers, or hyphens in your domain name. All of these things will make your name a lot more confusing and harder for people to remember.
- Make sure that the .com of your chosen name is available. Try to avoid alternative domain name endings like .net or .co because they are less common, harder to remember, and less trustworthy.
- Make your name related to your niche. This way people will instantly know what your blog is about. For example, Easy Baby Life, Mommy on Purpose, and Swaddles ‘n’ Bottles are all real examples of mom blogs with great names.
- Use your own name. If you can’t think of a catchy name for your blog, using your own name as your domain name is always a safe bet.
- Don’t overthink it. Try not to spend too much time on this step or worry about picking the “perfect” domain name. Chances are, whatever name you pick will grow on you and start to feel like a great fit.
Related: How to Choose a Blog Name
If you can’t decide on a name yet, that’s okay! You can come back and choose one later after you sign up for web hosting with Bluehost.
Step 3: Get Web Hosting
If you want to make money as a blogger, you will need to have a self-hosted blog. This means that you own all of your content and your blog is totally yours, as opposed to using a hosted platform such as Blogger, Wix, WordPress.com, etc.
Even if you are not a very technical person, setting up web hosting is extremely simple and only takes a few minutes.
First, you will need to choose a web host.
The web hosting company I use and recommend is Bluehost.
Here are a few reasons why I like Bluehost:
- They have some of the most affordable web hosting plans out there.
- You can get your domain name for free with them (as opposed to paying $15 to $20 with an outside company.)
- Their service is reliable and robust, so you will never have to worry about your website going down or loading slowly.
- Many of the most successful bloggers I know use Bluehost.
- They have great customer support and I have always had my questions answered quickly whenever I needed help.
Bluehost has very generously offered hosting packages starting at just $2.95 a month for readers of Blogging Her Way, along with a FREE domain name.
To get this special pricing, just be sure to use any Bluehost link in this article!
Here’s how to set up web hosting with Bluehost:
1. Click here and then click the “Get Started” button:
2. Select your hosting plan
3. Put in your domain name
Select this option and you can go ahead and set up your blog now, then use the free credit to buy your domain name later.
4. Create your hosting account
5. Choose your package and pay
I recommend the 12-month plan for $2.95 a month, for a total cost of $35.40 for the year. But you can also choose a 24-month or 36-month plan.
6. Congrats, you’re done!
Now you’re all set! Bluehost will automatically install WordPress for you.
What exactly is WordPress? WordPress is the content management platform that your blog will run on. Your WordPress dashboard is where you will go to edit the look of your blog, write blog posts, upload images, etc.
It’s extremely easy to use, even if you’re a total beginner.
Step 4: Design Your Blog
Now it’s time for the fun part – designing your blog!
When you log in to your WordPress dashboard for the first time, you will be prompted to go ahead and choose a theme for your blog:
You can pick one of these default themes if you want, but I don’t recommend it.
For one, the majority of these free default themes are not designed with bloggers in mind. Most are designed for business websites.
Additionally, choosing a premium theme over a default theme will make your blog look more professional right from the start.
Here are the benefits to choosing a paid theme for your blog:
- They come with step-by-step set-up instructions
- You will have access to customer support from the theme creator.
- Paid themes come with crucial features like a mobile responsive design and customization options.
- Your blog will look prettier and more professional.
Here are some themes I absolutely LOVE that are perfect for mom bloggers:
Installing your WordPress theme
To install your theme, go to Appearance > Themes in the lefthand menu of the WordPress dashboard, which looks like this:
Then simply upload your theme file and install it.
Once you have installed your theme and are happy with the way everything looks, you can go ahead and launch your blog! Until you follow this step, your blog will just display a “Coming Soon” landing page.
To launch, go to the Bluehost menu on the top left of your WordPress dashboard:
All you have to do is fill in this info and you’re good to go:
Congrats! Your mom blog is now live.
Step 5: Start Blogging!
So you’ve started your blog – now what should you blog about?
I recommend getting at least 5 to 10 high-quality blog posts published right away. That way new visitors will have something to read on your blog!
Some popular mom blog post ideas include:
- What to bring to the hospital for labor
- Tips for breastfeeding
- Ways to keep kids entertained on a rainy day
- Fun holiday traditions for kids
- Tips for getting kids to do chores
- Best educational toys and games
I also put together a big list of blog post ideas for mom bloggers to help you out with more content ideas for your new mom blog.
How Mom Blogs Make Money
You might be wondering how mom bloggers actually make money.
There are so many ways you can make money as a blogger, but here are a few of the most popular ways to monetize your mom blog.
Related: How Do Bloggers Make Money? Top 5 Ways Explained
Affiliate marketing is an arrangement where brands pay affiliates commission on all sales that an affiliate generates through a unique affiliate link.
When you’re reading a mom blog and the blogger links to products she recommends, chances are she is using an affiliate link. If you click the link and make a purchase, the blogger will earn commission (at no extra cost to you.)
This is one of the best ways to make money as a mom blogger by recommending products you already use and love.
For more tips on affiliate marketing, read my guide to making money with affiliate marketing or sign up for my free list of affiliate programs for bloggers.
Sponsored posts are where brands pay bloggers to share sponsored content on their blog or social media channels in exchange for payment.
Payment for sponsored posts can be anywhere from a few hundred dollars to thousands of dollars depending on the campaign and the size of your audience.
In order to find sponsored posts, you can either pitch brands directly or apply for opportunities through sponsored post networks. Networks are an easy option because they connect brands directly to bloggers for campaigns.
Some popular sponsored post networks you can join are Linqia, Izea, Real Clever, Aspire IQ, Cooperatize, and Blog Meets Brand.
Display advertising is an amazing way to make money as a blogger because it is totally passive income once your blog is getting traffic.
Once your blog is receiving a consistent amount of traffic each month, you can apply to ad networks who will place display ads on your blog. Payment is determined by RPM (revenue per one thousand impressions.)
With enough traffic, you can easily earn anywhere from a few hundred to thousands of dollars each month just from ads.
Two of the best ad networks for bloggers are Monumetric and Mediavine. Monumetric requires 10,000 monthly page views to apply, while Mediavine requires 50,000 monthly sessions to apply.
Mom Blog Examples
Need some more inspiration for starting a mom blog? Here are examples of mom bloggers who are making money with their blogs!
Click the link to check out their mom blog income reports:
- Mommy on Purpose: Earned $5,157 in one month
- Pulling Curls: Earned $6,631 in one month
- What Mommy Does: Earned $7,464 in one month
- Swaddles ‘n’ Bottles: Earned $11,180 in one month
- The Realistic Mama: Earned $12,366 in one month
As you can see it’s possible to make a lot of money with a mom blog! For more mom blog income reports, check out this list of blog income reports.
Start a Mom Blog Courses
This guide would be incomplete if I didn’t mention Suzi Whitford from Start a Mom Blog. Suzi is a seven-figure blogger who has created some of the best resources out there for teaching other moms how to start and grow successful blogs.
I actually recommend her online courses for ANY type of blogger, but moms will find them especially helpful since that is her target audience.
She also has a great online course called Blog by Number which is perfect for mom bloggers. You can read my full review of Blog by Number here.
How to Start a Mom Blog Recap
This guide taught you how to start a mom blog and make money blogging.
As a recap, here are the steps you need to take to start your own mom blog:
- Decide on your niche.
- Choose a domain name.
- Register for web hosting from Bluehost.
- Write 5 to 10 blog posts.
Once you have established your blog and started to build an audience, you can monetize your blog through affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, and ads.
There are so many mom bloggers out there who are doing this as their career, and you can be one of them too if you follow these steps, commit to blogging, and give it your best! Good luck and happy blogging!